Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

After Boston, will we make peace or holy patriots?

On the evening of the Boston bombings, my cousin called to deliberately inject me with a dose of fear. I'm a Muslim and was traveling to give a speech on "Ending Religious Violence: The Journey to Peace." He warned, “Go home! Hug your kids! This is a Christian nation!”

My nerves were frayed.

I called the organizers and requested security. They conceded. My worries subsided.
Moments later, I received an email from John Poage, an American Christian and audience member who had attended a prior speech I had given.
Poage wrote, “Before we know what happened...when my mind turns to vengeance rather than healing, your perspective is a powerful example. Thank you very much for giving me some tools to deal with this ...”

My fears vanished.

Poage exemplified what bejewels most Westerners - civility.